In the News
Bolded articles reference the campaign. Other articles are included for context etc.
- KRCL 90.9FM RadioACTive interview (Th July 26 interview with Yoram Bauman): Follow the link (and start at the 31:00 mark) for a recording.
- KPCW 91.7FM This Green Earth interview (T July 23 interview with Yoram Bauman).
- Deseret New (July 17 op-ed by Yoram Bauman): “We can make the desert bloom again by cleaning the air”
- NY Times (July 10):“Even Moderate Air Pollution May Lead to Lung Disease”
- KUER (July 8 story by Nicole Nixon): “Signature Gathering Begins For Carbon Tax Proposal That Could Raise Millions For Clean Air”
- Salt Lake Tribune (July 7 op-ed by Don Albrecht): “Urban and rural Utah will both benefit if we Clean The Darn Air”
- Utah Public Radio (July 3 article by Steve Smith): “Citizen-Sponsored Carbon Tax Initiative Proposes Huge Overhauls To State Tax Laws”
- Fox 13 (July 1 TV segment by Ben Winslow): “Signature gathering starts for ballot initiative to clean up Utah’s air”
- Governor Herbert doesn’t say No (Th June 27 tweet from Ben Winslow of Fox News, see also full transcript here):
— Ben Winslow (@BenWinslow) June 27, 2019
- Salt Lake Tribune (June 24 column by Robert Gehrke): “Trump can try to prop up the coal industry, but rural Utah needs to start preparing for the future”
- KRCL 90.9FM RadioACTive interview (W June 26 interview with volunteers Tim Woodruff and Ronan Carrier): Follow the link (and start at the 43:00 mark) for a recording.
- Utah Public Radio (June 26 interview with Yoram Bauman): “Climate And Comedy With Stand-Up Economist Yoram Bauman On Wednesday’s Access Utah”.
- Salt Lake Tribune (June 25 article by Benjamin Wood): “New estimate shows Utah’s Clean the Darn Air carbon tax would generate $170 million”
- LTE (letter to the editor) on June 24 from Jean Lown in Logan.
- Trib Talk podcast (June 19 with Yoram Bauman).
- Governor’s Office of Economic Development (June 19 post featuring campaign Advisory Board member Don Albrecht—note that this article is about his day job, not about our campaign): “Rural Utah Communities Reevaluate Needs for the 21st-Century Economy”
- Salt Lake Tribune (June 9 op-ed by Yoram Bauman and David Carrier): “Let’s clean the darn air by taxing pollution instead of potatoes.”
- Salt Lake Tribune (May 31 column by George Pyle): “The free market wants a beautiful Utah. Not a coal mine.”
- Salt Lake Tribune (May 27 front-page story by Sean Means): “Salt Lake City makes the list of the nation’s worst cities for health effects tied to air pollution.”
- Fox 13 (May 24 TV segment by Ben Winslow): “A ballot initiative that imposes a tax on pollution to clean up Utah’s air advances.”
- KSL.com (May 24 article by Kim Bojórquez): “Utah youth leave school to join global climate protest”
- Provo Daily Herald (May 11 op-ed by Don Jarvis): “Green New Deal myths and prospects”
- Salt Lake Tribune (May 9 article by Benjamin Wood): “Would Utahns vote for a carbon tax? Initiative campaign aiming for the 2020 ballot holds obligatory town halls.”
- Provo Daily Herald (May 6 article by Katie England): “Public meeting about carbon tax initiative to be held in Provo”
- NY Times (April 30): “In a Switch, Some Republicans Start Citing Climate Change as Driving Their Policies”
- Salt Lake Tribune (April 24 article by Thomas burr): “Study: Salt Lake, Orem and Provo among worst in the nation for air pollution”
- Salt Lake Tribune (April 23 article by Courtney Tanner): “Childhood cancer survivors kept showing up in Utah emergency rooms unable to breathe. Researchers have now figured out what’s going on.”
- KNRS 105.9 (April 19, Rod Arquette show): Start at the 20:20 mark.
- KUER (April 19 story by Nicole Nixon): “Utahns might vote on a carbon tax in 2020”
- Salt Lake Tribune (April 18 article by Bethany Rodgers): “Could a Utah carbon tax be on the ballot in 2020? A group wants to use the money to clean up the air”
- Fox 13 (April 18 article by Ben Winslow): “A new ballot measure has been filed for air quality in Utah”. (And congratulations to Ben for breaking the news about our ballot measure filing!)
Prior to our ballot measure filing (Jan – Mar 2019)
- Salt Lake Tribune (March 29 article by Bethany Rodgers): “Utah lawmakers tucked away $110M to solve a slew of building and parking problems on Capitol Hill and its surroundings”
- Salt Lake Tribune (March 14 article by Taylor Stevens): “Legislature falls far short of governor’s goal of investing $100M to improve air quality. Advocates say it’s a good first step.”
- Casper (WY) Star Tribune (Feb 19 op-ed by economist Jason Shogren): “Shogren: What does the market say? Coal bailout bill will impose a hidden tax on families and workers”
Prior to our ballot measure filing (2018 and earlier)
- Salt Lake Tribune (December 27, 2018, article by Bethany Rodgers): “Gov. Herbert wants to take state spending on air quality to new heights. What could his proposed $100 million investment do to reduce pollution?”
- Salt Lake Tribune (December 18, 2018, article by Erin Alberty): “Utah’s air pollution could lead to miscarriages, according to one study, but doctors aren’t talking about it”
- NY Times (July 28, 2018): “Actually, Republicans Do Believe in Climate Change”